Action Alert

URGENT: Defend FFRF victory at school board meeting, Wed. 8/15!

The Chino Valley School Board prayed, proselytized, and read the bible at school board meetings. No more! It has lost to FFRF and 22 brave plaintiffs in federal district court and before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Yet, the board voted in a closed meeting to appeal the case . . . all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.

You have a chance to protest this decision by attending the next board meeting on Wednesday, August 15 at 7:00pm, 5130 Riverside Drive, Chino, CA 91761. According to the agenda, the board will meet in closed session at 5:25pm to briefly discuss the appeal, but citizens can still provide public comment at the 7:00pm session.

There is still time for the board to do the right thing, if you speak up! Tell the board to reverse its decision to appeal. Three of the board members belong to the local mega-church, Calvary Chapel Chino Hills: Sylvia Orozco, James Na, and Andrew Cruz. They need to hear from you NOW!

Note: Board member Andrew Cruz has argued in the press that 80 percent of the Ninth Circuit’s decisions are overturned. He’s wrong and should be told so. Of the cases the Ninth Circuit decides — and that’s the issue here — about one-tenth of one percent (0.1 percent) are overturned by the Supreme Court. The other 99.9 percent of the time, the law is clear and the Supreme Court doesn’t review, let alone overturn, the Ninth Circuit. And the law is clear here. 

BACKGROUND
The school district lost more than $200,000 at the lower court and if this is fully briefed and argued at the Supreme Court, it is possible that it could cost the district upwards of $1 million. How many textbooks or computers or teachers’ salaries is that? Instead, these board members are intent on using public offices to promote their personal religion.

The school board will make much of the fact that they have pro bono representation. But don’t be taken in by this misleading talking point. FFRF debunks this fallacy time and again. Most recently, in an op-ed for Religion New Service. Taxpayers are on the line for court costs in losing cases.

Three of the board members belong to the local mega-church, Calvary Chapel Chino Hills: Sylvia Orozco, James Na, and Andrew Cruz. They need to hear from you NOW!

Please attend the meeting. Call if you are able. Email too, even if you speak in person. 

Chino Valley School Board

Pamela Feix, (909) 306-8259, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
James Na, (909) 315-1344, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
Irene Hernandez-Blair, (909) 731-2597, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
Andrew Cruz, (909) 472-7863, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
Sylvia Orozco, (909) 721-1361, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

MESSAGE

Feel free to copy and paste the sample text for an email that we’ve provided.

Please do not appeal the Ninth Circuit's decision against Chino Valley School Board prayers. The board has already wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on this case. Regardless of pro bono representation, we’ll still have to pay all the costs and fees for the other side if this case is lost. Plenty of local governments have spent far more than our school district fighting these losing cases. The Dover School District in Pennsylvania spent more than $1 million on a losing fight to preach creationism in the public schools. Get back to teaching our children. Please don’t waste time and money on this appeal. We have better things to do. 

FFRF is a non-profit, educational organization. All dues and donations are deductible for income-tax purposes.

FFRF has received a 4 star rating from Charity Navigator

FFRF is a member of the Secular Coalition for America

FFRF privacy statement